English, designated the original bearer who came from Tickhill “Tica's hill” in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
Tickle married Sarah Elizabeth Lineberry on 22 November 1819 in Guilford County, North Carolina. They were in Southwest Virginia
by 1850. Peter Conrad Tickle was born to Daniel and Sarah in March 1830 in Orange County, North Carolina. He married Mary Ann Journell on 18 November 1852 in Pulaski. Mary’s
parents were William Journell and Margaret Honaker. She was born 18 April 1830 in Montgomery County and died 26 February 1914 in Pulaski County. Peter died on
13 February 1903 in Pulaski County.
C. Tickle served with Company F, 36th Virginia Regiment during the Civil War. He was described as 5 feet 4 inches tall, fair
complexion, gray eyes and auburn hair.
His wife, Mary Ann applied for a Confederate Widows Pension on March 14, 1903. Her application gave her husbands date
of death as 13 February 1903; she explained that her husband fell dead in the field. Mary received $28.00 annually.
Troy Davis conveyed land [no acreage given] to Peter C. Tickle on May 29, 1893. The same land John bought of Joseph H. Lefler
and Fransina Akers Lefler.
April 6, 1891, Peter C. Tickle and wife Mary Ann conveyed 30 acres to L. T. Lampert.
C. Tickle conveyed 85 acres to Charles W. Davis on September 12, 1896. The land run on Moses Akers line on the west and with
Jacob Kitts line on the south side to the middle of the creek thence with the creek to the ford we made a line fence running
with that fence to the corner on the public road from that corner on the Public road so far as to give L. Lambert his thirty
Peter and Mary’s children:
1. Sarah Elizabeth
“Lizzie” was born October 1853 in Smyth County married Linsey T. Lambert on 22 March 1877 in Bland County. *See Lambert Family.
2. John H. born about 1854 in Giles County married Sarah A. Caves on 28 December 1880 in Pulaski County.
3. Margaret Ann born 11 March 1856 in Pulaski County married James
William Banes on 24 October 1876 in Bland County. See Banes Family.
4. Cynthia Victoria born 25 February 1858 in Pulaski County married
Charles W. Carden on 20 September 1879 in Pulaski County.
5. Elizabeth Jane born 03 July 1860 in Pulaski County married John
6. Peter H. born about 1862 in Bland
County married Rosa Collins on 10 September 1884 in Bland , she was the daughter of James and Mary Ann Collins. *See
7. Sylvia Caledonia born 30 November 1864 in Giles County married Thomas Jefferson Halsey on 07 April 1884 in Bland County. He was the son of Stephen J. Halsey and Sallie
Emily born 11 November 1866 in Bland married William Ribble Patterson 13 May 1885 in Bland County. He was the son of James Harvey Patterson and Nancy
9. Ella Catherine born 11 January 1870 in Pulaski married John Jasper
Bland 26 August 1892 in Bland County.
10. Josephine born 07 September 1871 in Bland married William Alexander Hamilton on 20 November 1894 in Bland County.
11. William H. born 17 August 1875 married Addie Kimbleton on 26 September 1900 in Pulaski County.
Pulaski County, VA Marriage Records, Pulaski County Courthouse.